Skip to main content

Fire safety

  • Oxygen is not flammable and will not explode. However, oxygen does support combustion. This means that oxygen makes things burn faster and ignite easier.
  • Use and or store oxygen in a well-ventilated area because oxygen accumulates around the user and immediate surroundings.
  • Do not use petroleum-based ointments or lotions in or around your nose, such as Vaseline, Vick’s, Chapstick, ect. Oxygen can react violently with these oil-like substances and can cause burns.
  • Keep all oxygen equipment at least 15 feet from any type of open flame. Take care to avoid open flames while using oxygen, including matches, fireplaces, barbecues, stoves, space heaters, candles, ect.
  • Do Not Smoke within 15 feet of the oxygen set-up or oxygen patient.
  • Avoid using electrical appliances that produce sparks, such as electrical heaters, electric razors, hair dryers, friction toys, remote toy cars, etc..
  • Use of a smoke detector and a fire extinguisher is highly recommended when using oxygen in the home.
  • Plan an evacuation route for you and your family in the event of a fire.

Oxygen storage and handling

  • Oxygen tanks should be stored in a stand or cart to prevent tipping and falling. Store extra unsecured tanks by placing them flat on the floor. Do not allow tanks to stand or lean in an upright position while unsecured.
  • Do not store oxygen systems in unventilated areas such as closets or cabinets. Never drape clothing items near heat or ignition sources.
// Commented out for now